Friday, April 26, 2013

Neighbours

One of the biggest potential drawbacks to cottage ownership is the fact you may end up having a neighbour who leaves a lot to be desired, like our very own Alan Pepper.

We were at the cottage for Easter weekend past, and on a run to the dump, I crunched the mailboxes belonging to Alan and another cottage owner across the road. Being a reasonable person, I included a note apologizing and offering to pay the costs of replacement for both boxes.

Later that day the boys and I were out on the lake, and decided to say hello to a gentleman ice fishing a few hundred feet away. Of course this necessitated passing Alan's place, and wouldn't you know it, he was there to begin a conversation:

"Hey!" he called out.

"Hello Alan!" I replied

"Nice job on the mailbox." he said, with a healthy dose of of sarcasm.

I paused, wondering the best response for such a compliment... "Well, thank you very much!" I cheerfully replied.

"Those will be fifty dollars to replace, you know"
 
"Alan, I left you and the other owner notes indicating I will cover all costs of replacement" I replied.
 
"You're an asshole."
 
I looked over at Rudi, and then down at Alexander. Personally I have rarely called anyone names, and never would do so in front of children. But I suppose I have a bit of class that Alan lacks.

"Whatever Alan, this conversation is over, have a lovely day!" I replied, and began walking away ith the kids on either side of me

I suspect his bitterness has a lot to do with the issue of replacing his culvert, which resulted in a particularly ugly pissing match, Alan wanting to be paid half the costs of the construction at time of installation. As Alan lives there year round, is the owner of the culvert, is completely responsible financially for it, and controls when it would be installed and by whom, and for how much, I felt our offer to pay half of his construction costs over a three year period was quite reasonable. In any event, he declined our offer, proceeded to attempt to coerce and bully and extort us into paying for half of his culvert, and finally he proceeded to install it, shouldering the entire cost himself.

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment